We appreciate the nearly 10,000 visitors who came to celebrate our 25th anniversary with us as we had science fun across space and time.
This free event features something for visitors of every age: hands-on demonstrations, self-guided tours, activities from our educational partners, food, and the chance to meet and chat with our scientists and other MagLab staff. It's also a chance to do good for the community: The canned goods we collect as the unofficial price of admission go to America's Second Harvest Food Bank of the Big Bend.
Open House offers an up-close look at our record-breaking 45-tesla hybrid magnet, our 900-megahertz superconducting magnet and other powerful research instruments. A special Exploration Station features hands-on science fun designed especially for families with young children.
With information and activities targeting a variety of ages, this event has become a popular family outing and is a can't-miss opportunity to show children how fun science can be. That doesn't mean the fun and learning are over once our visitors leave. We've been busy building up online demonstrations of some of what you'll see at Open House, so you can extend and apply what you've learned long after the day's over.
Several other nearby FSU-affiliated institutions are also opening their doors that day, including the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering, the Center for Advanced Power Systems, the High Performance Materials Institute, Florida Center for Reading Research, and the Florida Center for Advanced Aero-Propulsion.
2020 Open House Wrap Up
Image Gallery: 2019 Open House
- That's a moiré! Performance That's a moiré! Performance
- Potato Gun Reaction Potato Gun Reaction
- Molecular Cuisine Science Molecular Cuisine Science
- That's a moiré! Reactions That's a moiré! Reactions
- Frozen Nitro Flowers Family Group Frozen Nitro Flowers Family Group
- Junkyard Smiles Junkyard Smiles
- Molecular Cuisine Actions Molecular Cuisine Actions
- Nitrogen Frozen Flowers Nitrogen Frozen Flowers
- Joy's of slime Joy's of slime