The 2019 Open House is over! Thanks to the more than 10,800 people who attended! Check back later this year to find out more about the 2020 Open House.
This free event features something for visitors of every age: hands-on demonstrations, self-guided tours, activities from our educational partners, food, and the chance to meet and chat with our scientists and other MagLab staff. It's also a chance to do good for the community: The canned goods we collect as the unofficial price of admission go to America's Second Harvest Food Bank of the Big Bend.
Open House offers an up-close look at our record-breaking 45-tesla hybrid magnet, our 900-megahertz superconducting magnet and other powerful research instruments. A special Exploration Station features hands-on science fun designed especially for families with young children.
With information and activities targeting a variety of ages, this event has become a popular family outing and is a can't-miss opportunity to show children how fun science can be. That doesn't mean the fun and learning are over once our visitors leave. We've been busy building up online demonstrations of some of what you'll see at Open House, so you can extend and apply what you've learned long after the day's over.
Image Gallery: 2019 Open House
- That's a moiré! Performance That's a moiré! Performance
- Potato Gun Reaction Potato Gun Reaction
- Molecular Cuisine Science Molecular Cuisine Science
- That's a moiré! Reactions That's a moiré! Reactions
- Frozen Nitro Flowers Family Group Frozen Nitro Flowers Family Group
- Junkyard Smiles Junkyard Smiles
- Molecular Cuisine Actions Molecular Cuisine Actions
- Nitrogen Frozen Flowers Nitrogen Frozen Flowers
- Joy's of slime Joy's of slime
2017 Open House by the Numbers
|Number of visitors||8,000|
|Pounds of food collected for America's Second Harvest of the Big Bend||2,175|
|Number of performances of Mozart's Cosi fan tutti||5|
|Quarts of dairy products used to make Einstein Ice Cream||120|
|Number of science demonstrations||100+|
|Pounds of potatoes fired in Potato Cannon||210|
|Number of participating organizations||35|