Skip to main content
National MagLab logo

The MagLab is funded by the National Science Foundation and the State of Florida.

Visa Information for Travel to the U.S.

Users and other visitors from outside the United States should familiarize themselves with visa requirements well in advance of their magnet time by visiting the websites of the U.S. Department of State or the American Physical Society.

Please arrange your visa as soon as possible. Visa Appointment Wait Times vary by country and can be long. The times quoted on the link provided do not include administrative processing, which may significantly add to the wait time.

Visa Waiver Program

Many users and other travelers are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which enables eligible citizens or nationals of certain countries to travel to the U.S. for tourism or business for stays of 90 days or fewer without a visa.

Travelers intending to use the VWP must first apply online through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) system. Apply as soon as you start making travel plans.

To access Frequently Asked Questions about the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

B1/B2 Visas

Travelers who cannot use the VWP can apply for a B1/B2 visa , which is a temporary visitor visa. Documentation includes an Invitation Letter; to request one from the Magnet Lab, please contact the Facility Director or Program Coordinator of the facility you will be using, and include the following information in your request:

  • Full name
  • Date of birth
  • Citizenship
  • Mailing Address
  • E-mail address

If you don't receive your invitation by e-mail within a few days, or if you wish to receive a hard copy via regular mail, e-mail the Facility Director or Coordinator immediately.

Student Visas

Student researchers are not eligible for the VWP or B1/B2 visas. They must obtain J-1 visa status in order to engage in research or training in the U.S.

Last modified on 16 February 2024