First register using this link, then return to this page and follow the below instructions.
Welcome to the National MagLab! Whether you're a returning or first-time user, you'll have access to a wide variety of unique magnets via a competitive proposal process. All user facilities accept proposals throughout the year. See instructions for requesting magnet time below, check the list of policies and procedures on this page, and reach out for the appropriate contacts listed on this page for guidance or with questions.
We look forward to working with you.
How to request magnet time
1. Prepare documentation
You need a proposal for magnet time requests in all facilities. Please include the following combine in one pdf file:
- A description of the proposed science and/or technology development (no more than 3 pages), including broader impacts of the work.
- A one-page description of the previous relevant work.
- A biographical sketch of the PI (using this bio sketch template).
Prior Results Report
Users applying for the DC Field and Pulsed Field facilities are required to prepare a Prior Results Report. We prefer that you use our report template.
Animal Use Application Form
Users applying for the NMR facility and using live vertebrate animals are required to submit a completed Animal Use Application Form.
2. Log in
If you're a new user, you will need to first register.
Starting soon, you will be asked to include your ORCiD on your user profile. Don’t have one or don’t know what is? Learn more in user news.
3. Submit your request
Upload your prepared files and provide detailed information about the proposed experiment, specifically:
- The magnet system(s) you would like to use
- Sample(s) information
- Experimental plan
- Schedule request
- Funding source(s) information
- Prior Results Report (required for DC Field and Pulsed Field facility only)
- Contact information for every new collaborator
4. Report your results
After your work is completed, you are required to submit a one-page research report before the end of the calendar year. To do so, please log into our User Reporting System.
You must also report to the laboratory, in a timely manner, all publications resulting from use of MagLab facilities, including talks, books, Ph.D. and masters theses, and other one-time publications or activities resulting from use of MagLab facilities.
Publications, presentations, or other activities or products resulting from use of MagLab facilities should include one of the following two acknowledgements:
A portion of this work was performed at the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, which is supported by the National Science Foundation Cooperative Agreement No. DMR-1644779 and the State of Florida.
The National High Magnetic Field Laboratory is supported by the National Science Foundation through NSF/DMR-1644779 and the State of Florida.
Two additional points about the above acknowledgements:
- Papers that used our Pulsed Field Facility should include “and the U.S. Department of Energy” to the above acknowledgements.
- For data collected from 2012-2017, the grant number to use is DMR-1157490. The current grant number of DMR-1644779 is to acknowledge data collected in the five year period from 2018 to 2022. Please include both grant numbers if your data were collected during both time periods.
NSF support must also be orally acknowledged during all news media interviews, including popular media such as radio, television and news magazines.
For powerpoints or posters: