Video by Stephen Bilenky
The weeklong summer school features tutorials on measurement techniques, practical exercises and plenary talks from experts in the field of condensed matter physics.
SAVE THE DATES FOR 2018!
The next User Summer School is scheduled for May 14-18, 2018.
This experience is designed to provide a “technique toolkit” to early career scientists that includes:
- Noise types and theory; noise suppression techniques
- Transport techniques
- Magnetometry: AC, torque, vibrating sample magnetometer, SQUID
- Heat capacity measurements
- Infrared and terahertz spectroscopy
- Ultrasound spectroscopy
- High-pressure methods
- NMR techniques for chemistry, biology and condensed matter
- Electron paramagnetic resonance (electron spin resonance)
- Cryogenic techniques
- Measurements at ultra-low temperatures
- The nuts and bolts of data acquisition
For more information please contact Renee Luallen.
We are accepting a maximum of 28 students for summer school.
- Online application opens: February 2018
- Last date to apply for 2018 User Summer School: April 13, 2018 at 5 p.m. EST.
- Acceptance notification to applicants: April 20, 2018
The cost of summer school is $400 and includes:
- Housing at Hampton Inn & Suites Tallahassee Capitol - University from Sunday, May 13 to Saturday, May 19
- Travel between the hotel and MagLab during the week
- Most meals
Name badges will be provided when you arrive at the MagLab on Monday, May 14. You must display your name badge during the entire week to identify yourself as a Summer School participant.
The MagLab does not allow "open-toed shoes" in lab spaces. You MUST wear close-toed shoes (no flip-flops or sandals). In addition, if you have any implants (like knee replacements or metal pins) or medical devices that you rely upon (such as pacemakers or insulin pumps), let us know as soon as possible.
Hampton Inn & Suites Tallahassee Capitol - University
824 Railroad Avenue
Tallahassee, FL 32310
Housing will be provided for out-of-town students at Hampton Inn & Suites Tallahassee Capitol - University.
Students do not need to make their own reservations. The MagLab will reserve and assign rooms for students.
Each room will have two double beds and accommodate two students.
Check in will begin at 3 p.m. on Sunday, March 13.
Check out is 11 a.m. on Saturday, March 19.
The hotel will provide transportation to/from the MagLab for students traveling without their own transportation during their stay.
Please visit Hampton Inn & Suites Tallahassee Capitol - University website for additional information on the hotel's amenities.
Students are responsible for transportation to and from Tallahassee and between the airport and the Hampton Inn & Suites Tallahassee Capitol - University. There are taxi services and Uber available in Tallahassee.
Transportation will be provided to and from the hotel to the MagLab Monday through Friday. The hotel shuttle will depart the hotel at approximately 7:30 a.m. each morning. The hotel shuttle will pick up at the MagLab each evening and return students to the hotel.
Parking is available at Hampton Inn & Suites Tallahassee Capitol - University for a fee. Parking at the MagLab does not require a pass.
The application process for the User Summer School 2018 is open until 5 p.m. on Friday April 13. Acceptance notifications will be sent by April 20, 2018.