Here at the MagLab, we value the health and safety of our staff, users, visitors and community. As we work together to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), we have cancelled our monthly public tours until further notice.
Read about our tour options below.
All visitors touring the lab are required by our safety policy to wear close-toed shoes! No sandals or flip-flops, please! Minors should be accompanied by an adult.
* Tallahassee monthly public tours have cancelled until further notice.
Monthly Public Tours
* The lab hosts free public tours of the facility on the third Wednesday of each month at 11:30 a.m. No reservations are required for this standing tour; just show up wearing close-toed shoes!) and check in at the reception desk. These tours include a general overview of the Magnet Lab and the research conducted here as well as explanations of the different types of magnets used here, including resistive magnets, superconducting magnets, pulsed magnets and our world-record hybrid magnet. The lab is located in Tallahassee's Innovation Park at 1800 E. Paul Dirac Drive.
The standing monthly tours are not intended for school groups or other large groups. Read more about tours for those groups below.
Schedule a Private Group Tour
Group tours (a minimum of eight people) of the MagLab are available for free to the general public. Tours to youth groups and groups where children are a majority are limited to ages 10 & up. Tours last about an hour and must be scheduled at least three weeks in advance through our Tour Request page.
Schedule a Tour for Your School Group
During the school year the MagLab also offers special tours for school groups for grades 5-12 that include a hands-on learning activity. See the Field Trips and Tours page for more information.
Can’t make it to the MagLab? Try our online tour, which provides a peek at things live visitors don’t get to see.
High B/T Facility Tours
We welcome individual and group visitors from 9am to 5pm during week days except when sensitive experiments or construction are going on.
- For individual visits, feel free to ring the bell at the entrance of Microkelvin Laboratory. Advanced appointment is preferred.
- For groups of over 20 people, we split visitors into two groups. Advanced appointment is required.
- Due to recent safety regulations, we no longer offer demonstrations.
AMRIS Facility Tours
The AMRIS Facility offers guided tours for general public and experts alike. Visitors, including high school students, teachers, and local residents, have the opportunity to view the magnets and discuss the current science with our staff scientists. Demonstrations and/or observations are possible with advance notice.
Please note that groups larger than 10 individuals will be divided into smaller groups for the tour.