Research Experiences for Teachers (RET)
This exciting summer program gives K-12 teachers from across the country the chance to participate in real-world science and cutting-edge magnetic field research.
Funded by the National Science Foundation, this six-week residential program for U.S. citizens gives teachers from across the country the chance to participate in real-world science with MagLab scientists. Through weekly seminars, discussion groups, professional development and technology workshops, teachers develop strategies and resources to translate their research into material for their classrooms.
Mentorship is defined as professional, working alliance in which individuals work together over time to support the personal and professional growth, development, and success of the relational partners through the provision of career and psychosocial support.
Each teacher accepted by the program receives a stipend, classroom materials and, if necessary, travel support and housing. We are looking for highly motivated teachers who plan to take the lessons that they learn in the lab related to authentic scientific research and translate that into lessons for their classrooms.
- The MagLab RET program is for US citizens only.
- Program dates June 15th – July 24th, 2020.
- You must complete an online application in order to be considered for the RET program.
- Participants are required to participate in the weekly educational activities beyond the research component of the program.
- Participants are required to produce a poster based on their research to present on the last day of the program (Friday July 24, 2020)
- Participants are required to produce a deliverable lesson plan based on the research and/or work done during the RET program.
- You will be notified by Jose Sanchez regarding your acceptance via acceptance letter in mail and via email.
- Once accepted all documents sent to you regarding the program must be completed and submitted by May 15, 2020.
- Each participant will receive a stipend of $3,600 based on the completion of the program.
- Stipends will be broken up into installments
- First stipend will be on the 2nd week of the program $1800
- Second stipend will be on the last week of the program $1800
- Travel reimbursements are for non-local teachers. The travel reimbursement will only cover direct travel from the teachers home to the lab location for the first day and final day. The reimbursement is up to $600. Please keep this in mind as you make travel plans and contact Jose Sanchez with questions. No other forms of travel will be reimbursed (e.g. to and from home on weekends).
- All travel receipts must be submitted by June 19, 2020.
- Housing is provided for non-local participants. Jose Sanchez is the only person authorized to make housing reservations. If you make reservations without his approval, you will not be reimbursed.
- If you are staying in the housing, you must arrive at the housing location on June 14, 2020.
- If you are staying in the housing, you must check out on July 24, 2020.
- Participants are required to participate in the entire six weeks of the program.
The Summer 2020 RET application is now open. Please use the following link to apply Summer 2020 RET Application. Application deadline is April 17, 2020 at 5 p.m. EST.
For more information contact Jose Sanchez at email@example.com or (850) 645-0033.