Virtual Classroom Outreach
Want to get your students excited about science – for free? Have a MagLab expert visit your classroom online!
- Virtual Classroom Outreach is available on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday only.
- Each presentation lasts 30-60 minutes.
- Presentations may be attended by more than one class of the same grade level at a time.
- Virtual Classroom Outreach must be scheduled 7-60 days before the requested date.
- Downloadable pre/post materials are available in PDF format to improve students' understanding of the concepts for Virtual Outreach presentations.
- All activities are correlated to Next Generation Science Standards and Florida's Sunshine State Standards. The list of standards covered by each outreach can be found on the last page of the pre/post materials.
Virtual Outreach Lesson Options
Choose from one of the lessons below. Please be prepared to participate with your class during the virtual visit. Our educators are not responsible for the class, and therefore the regular room teacher must be present. Activities for pre/post visit are included and strongly suggested.
4-5 6-8 9-12
By combining items commonly found in and around your house, you can create an electromagnet. In this activity students are given the backgrounds on the MagLab's electromagnets, how they work and what they look like. Students will get to ask questions about what makes the MagLab’s magnets unique.
4-5 6-8 9-12
Charges particles create magnetic field, but their actual motion creates electricity. This basic idea is how we get electromagnetism. In this visit we will talk about the creation of electricity, the properties of current electricity, and show how the MagLab uses electricity to create the world's strongest magnets.
Magnetism is one of the most interesting things to discover. During this visit, students will get to know the properties and principals of magnetism and how the magnets in their classrooms are very similar to the 30-foot tall magnet at the MagLab.
Request a Virtual Outreach Visit
The application to request a virtual visit from a MagLab educator will re-open in August, 2022.
Pre-Recorded Outreach Videos
Do you need asynchronous materials for your students to view on their own? Check out the MagLab's pre-recorded outreach videos to offer your students a science lesson whenever it works best for their schedule.
Pre-Recorded Outreach Videos Lesson Options
This recorded lesson is an introduction to the magnet lab for primary students. You'll find out what research goes on at the Magnet Lab and what types of magnets the MagLab operates. Get more information on the properties of magnets while learning about how the MagLab magnets work.
This recorded lesson covers the connection between electricity and magnetism as it explores the phenomenon of electromagnetism. You'll get an introduction to the MagLab and the types of science that go on here while also learning about the magnets and how they operate. You'll even get to learn about a few World Record magnets.