The internship program pairs MagLab scientists with students from high school, college and technical programs to help them gain experience in subjects such as physics, chemistry, engineering, materials research/development, machining and biology.
There are two types of internship opportunities.
This is a paid internship for students 17 years of age or older that runs from June to August. The program’s goals are to:
- Expose students to a scientific research working environment
- Provide students the opportunity to gain experience in the workforce as well as do cutting edge science
- Have students prepare an end-of-summer report on the work they did during their internship and how it contributed to the mentor’s research (poster is an option)
- Paid Internship
- For ages 17 and above
- Runs from June 5 to July 28
- Application deadline: April 7, 2017 at 5 p.m. EST
You must be 17 years of age or older in order to apply for the summer internship program.
The Internship program application for summer is now closed.
The assistant director of CIRL will pair mentors and interns based on science and math course experience (for intern) and research interest. Once mentors and interns have been paired, each selected intern will be contacted to determine their acceptance. All accepted interns must turn in their paperwork no later than the May 1 before their internship is slated to begin (this includes OPS Express forms, I-9 forms, etc.). If the students have not completed their paperwork by the deadline, they will be considered an unpaid intern.
Academic Year Internship
This is an unpaid internship available in the fall semester (September to December) or the spring semester (January to May). The program’s goals are:
- Expose students to a scientific working environment
- Provide opportunities for students to fulfill their school in-service requirements
- Unpaid Internship - Spring semester
- For high school students & undergraduates
- Runs from February 1 to May 1
- Application: Closed
The Internship program application for spring is now closed. The Internship program application for fall will open in August 2017. Please visit our website then for information about the fall internship placement.
Because these internships are unpaid, no additional paperwork is required. Placement of students depends on mentor needs. Interns will be required to take the safety training and sign in on a daily basis.