The Magnet Lab offers internships for high school and college students interested in pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.
The internship program pairs MagLab scientists with students from high school, college and technical programs to help them gain experience in subjects such as physics, chemistry, engineering, materials research/development, machining and biology.
There are two types of internship opportunities.
This is a paid internship for students 17 years of age or older that runs from June to August. The program’s goals are to:
- Expose students to a scientific research working environment
- Provide students the opportunity to gain experience in the workforce as well as do cutting edge science
- Have students prepare an end-of-summer report on the work they did during their internship and how it contributed to the mentor’s research (poster is an option)
- Paid Internship
- For ages 17 and above
- Runs from June 11 to July 27, 2018
- Application Opens: Jan 2 - March 2, 2018.
You must be 17 years of age or older in order to apply for the summer internship program.
The Internship program application for summer is now closed.
The assistant director of CIRL will pair mentors and interns based on science and math course experience (for intern) and research interest. Once mentors and interns have been paired, each selected intern will be contacted to determine their acceptance. All accepted interns must turn in their paperwork no later than the May 1 before their internship is slated to begin (this includes OPS Express forms, I-9 forms, etc.). If the students have not completed their paperwork by the deadline, they will be considered an unpaid intern.
Academic Year Internship
This is an unpaid internship available in the fall semester (September to December) or the spring semester (January to May). The program’s goals are:
- Expose students to a scientific working environment
- Provide opportunities for students to fulfill their school in-service requirements
- Unpaid Internship - Fall semester
- For high school students & undergraduates
- Runs from September 1 to December 15
- Application Opens: August 14 - September 22, 2017.
Students must complete their online application no later than September 22 at 5pm EST for the fall semester.
Because these internships are unpaid, no additional paperwork is required. Placement of students depends on mentor needs. Interns will be required to take the safety training and sign in on a daily basis.
For more information contact Jose Sanchez at email@example.com or (850) 645-0033.