High School Externship
This program is designed for students enrolled in their high school's Externship Program.
Mentorship is a professional, working alliance in which individuals work together over time to support the personal and professional growth, development, and success of the relational partners through the provision of career and psychosocial support.
The program runs from September – May. Students can begin to apply the first week of April for their placement that starts when their Externship course begins (typically the first week of September).
Applying to the Program
- All Externs must secure their own placement with a scientist at the lab. This will require students to contact a scientist at the lab and request to be placed in their lab. For information on how to contact scientists please email Kari Roberts
- All Externs must fill out an online application.
- Kari Roberts will notify all accepted externs in May via email
- All Externs are required to have their own transportation to and from the lab
- All Externs must sign in and out at the front desk every time they come to the lab
- Externs that are under 18 years old must fill out a record of volunteer form and waiver of liability form.
- All Externs must complete the required safety training for the work they will be doing at the lab. Safety training courses will be scheduled once a mentor has been secured
All Externs will complete a poster highlighting the work they did during their Externship at a poster session at the conclusion of the program. Kari Roberts will provide examples and mentors will provide guidance on the communication of research.