Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
The MagLab's Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) is an exciting summer program for college students interested in a science career by giving them the chance to work with MagLab scientists on an in-depth research project. This program is funded by the National Science Foundation.
Dear REU applicant,
The 2021 REU will run from June 1- August 6, 2021. Note, due to COVID19, the structure of the program will be based on CDC recommendations and the safety of all individuals. Consequently, at this time we do not know if the REU program will be completely virtual, a hybrid or completely in-person.
The MagLab REU program offers a wide range of research experiences in physics, chemistry, biological sciences, geochemistry, materials science and magnet science and engineering. Participants work closely with MagLab mentors on a research project. Students also participate in weekly seminars and colloquia that broaden their knowledge of MagLab research and future careers. Participants will receive a $5,000 stipend for their participation in the program that is given in two increments during the summer.
Students will be selected by mentors at any one of the MagLab's 3 locations:
- Florida State University, in Tallahassee, FL;
- University of Florida in Gainesville, FL; and
- the MagLab's pulsed field facility at Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, NM.
To see the types of research projects that past participants have conducted, please visit the REU Class Archives on this webpage.
To learn more about research conducted by MagLab faculty and staff, please visit our research webpage.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent via email in April. Reimbursement for travel to and from the MagLab will be provided as long as it does not exceed $600. Housing is provided by the MagLab in FSU residence halls in Tallahassee, apartments in Gainesville and Los Alamos. All housing arrangements will be made through the MagLab, participants will not be reimbursed if they make their own housing arrangements.
- You must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident (Green Card)
- You must be 18 years of age or older by the start of the program.
All application materials must be submitted by March 19, 2021 at 5 pm EST.
- A current resume that must be uploaded to the application.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors on school letterhead (send to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Unofficial transcripts from all universities and colleges you have attended (Unofficial transcripts can either be uploaded during application process or sent by email to email@example.com).
For more information contact Roxanne Hughes, PhD.