Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU)
The MagLab's Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) is an exciting summer program for college students interested in a science career by giving them the chance to work with MagLab scientists on an in-depth research project. This program is funded by the National Science Foundation.
Mentorship is defined as a professional, working alliance in which individuals work together over time to support the personal and professional growth, development, and success of the relational partners through the provision of career and psychosocial support.
The MagLab REU program offers a wide range of research experiences in physics, chemistry, biological sciences, geochemistry, materials science and magnet science and engineering. Participants work closely with MagLab mentors on a research project. Students also participate in weekly seminars and colloquia that broaden their knowledge of MagLab research and future careers.
Students can be placed at one of the MagLab's 3 locations: Florida State University, in Tallahassee, FL; University of Florida in Gainesville, FL; and the MagLab's pulsed field facility at Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, NM.
- The MagLab REU program is for U.S. citizens and permanent residents only.
- Housing accommodations must be made through Jose Sanchez or his designee. Individuals who make housing accommodations on their own cannot be reimbursed.
- Students will be reimbursed for travel to the MagLab location on or the day before the first day of the program and for their departure on the last day of the program. The travel reimbursement will only cover direct travel from the student’s home to the lab location. This reimbursement will be up to $600. Please keep this in mind as you make travel plans and contact Jose Sanchez with questions. No other forms of travel (e.g. to and from home on weekends) will be reimbursed. Students who attend FSU or UF and are participating in the REU program there are not eligible for travel reimbursement. Students who live (or whose parents or legal guardians live in) any of the three REU locations (e.g. Tallahassee, Gainesville, or Los Alamos) are not eligible for reimbursement if they are participating at that location.
- Housing will be provided for students who do not attend the respective university or live in the location where they are participating in the REU program.
- For REUs at Los Alamos National Lab, you are required to stay in the housing set aside by the mentor in Los Alamos and must not exceed $2500 total.
- Participants are required to participate throughout all ten weeks of the program.
- You will be notified by Jose Sanchez about your acceptance via acceptance letter in mail and via email.
- Please make sure the email address you have provided is one that you check frequently
- All participants will receive a $5000 stipend based on the completion of the program.
- The stipend will be paid as follows:
- First stipend will be for $2500 during the 2nd week of the program
- Second stipend will be for $2500 on the last day of the program
Important Dates for Accepted Students
- Program dates: May 26th – July 31st, 2020
- Once accepted all documents sent to you regarding the program must be completed and submitted by May 15, 2020.
- If you are staying in the housing, you must arrive at the MagLab REU housing location on May 25th, 2020.
- All travel receipts must be submitted to Jose Sanchez by May 29th, 2020.
- Housing receipts from Los Alamos must be submitted by July 17th, 2020.
The Summer 2020 REU application is now open, use the following link to apply Summer 2020 REU Application. Application deadline is March 27, 2020 at 5 p.m. EST.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors on school letterhead (send to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Transcripts from all universities and colleges you have attended (Transcripts can be official or unofficial, and can either be uploaded during application process, sent by the applicant by email or sent directly from the institution to the MagLab).
- Goal statement (uploaded during application process)
- The Goal statement should be about what your plans are for the future.
- Resume (uploaded during application process)
All correspondence can be sent Attention:
1800 E Paul Dirac Drive.
Tallahassee, FL 32310
For more information contact Jose Sanchez at email@example.com or (850) 645-0033.