The Magnet Lab offers internships for college students interested in pursuing careers in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.
No new interns will be brought to the MagLab for the summer of 2020 due to the Covid19 pandemic. All applicants will be notified via email. Please check back to this website for updated information on the Fall 2020 internship program.
Mentorship is a professional, working alliance in which individuals work together over time to support the personal and professional growth, development, and success of the relational partners through the provision of career and psychosocial support.
The college internship program runs each semester (Summer, Fall, and Spring). The purpose of this program is to give college students an introduction to scientific research at the MagLab. The program is open to any college student, with priority given to local students from Tallahassee Community College, Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University, and Florida State University.
In order to be eligible to participate in the CIRL Internship Program, all interns must complete an online application and have a mentor ready to accept them by the deadline each semester.
|Application dates||Program runs|
|Fall||May to August||September to December|
|Spring||November to December||January to May|
|Summer||January to April||June to August|
Once all applications are submitted, Carlos Villa will review and notify mentors and interns of their acceptance.
Semesters will coincide roughly with FSU/TCC/FAMU dates. Carlos Villa will communicate official dates to all parties in the acceptance email.
Interns must provide their own transportation to and from the lab. MagLab Employees are not allowed to transport students.
How to apply:
- Applications for the summer 2020 internship program have been closed. We will not be taking on any new interns during the summer due to Covid19. Please check back this website in the summer for updated information on the Fall 2020 internship program.
- Please have at least one of the following documents ready to upload before filling out the application.
- Resume (required during fill out the application)
- Goal Statement
- Letter of Recommendation
Please send other documents to:
Attention: Carlos Villa
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
1800 East Paul Dirac Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32310
Mentor requirements for working with minors (<18):
- Intern must fill out record of Volunteer Service
- Intern must fill out Waiver of Liability form
- Intern must not work more than 10 hours per week
- Intern must be accompanied by mentor or other magnet lab employee at all times
- Mentor must obtain a Level 2 backgroud check in order to work with a minor.
Details and Expectations:
- Each semester, interns will be paid for 120 hours of work at $10/hour, with no more than 29 hours worked in one-week. Mentors and interns must communicate the schedule with each other and the coordinator in their department (the person who enters employees start and end dates.)
- Interns can only be hired for a semester and must reapply for each semester thereafter.
- Interns are limited to three semesters as part of the CIRL internship program. These do not need to be consecutive.
- Once accepted, it is the mentor’s responsibility to ensure that the intern knows which safety training they need to complete. Mentors must verify that the safety training has been taken.
- Interns are expected to sign in and out at the front desk
- All interns must complete a poster for the virtual poster session which will be held on the MagLab’s website. The poster should highlight their work and articulate the transferable skills they learned during the internship. Interns can look at this as an opportunity to share their skills with other potential hiring departments at the MagLab.
For more information contact Carlos Villa.