Prospective students, be sure to check out the Physics Masters-to-PhD Bridge Program.
We also support the professional development and mentorship of graduate students and postdocs during their time at the lab.
Mentorship is a professional, working alliance in which individuals work together over time to support the personal and professional growth, development, and success of the relational partners through the provision of career and psychosocial support.
We organize sessions on topics including job searching, public speaking, presentation skills and mentoring. These sessions provide information and skill development, as well as a chance to network with graduate students and postdocs from other groups at the lab. Be sure to check out the calendar below for upcoming events!
- How to Give a Great Scientific Presentation, MacDiarmid Emerging Scientists Association
- How to report scientific research to a general audience, Science Blogs
- Ten Secrets to Giving a Good Scientific Talk
- Tips for Publishing in Scientific Journals, Science
- 9 Publishing Basics for Anyone Submitting to a Scholarly Journal, Sage Connection
- Publishing tips from a journal editor: selecting the right journal, OUP Blog
- Writing Scientific Papers, Scitable
- Poster Design Presentation
- Individual Development Plan for Postdoctoral Fellows
- What is a Mentor, The National Academies Press
- Managing difficult post doc – mentor relationships, FSU Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
- 10 Tips for Getting the Most from Your Mentor, The Ladder
- Postdoctoral Mentoring Plan - National MagLab
- Effective Lab Skills Science Webinar Series
- Excellence Everywhere, downloadable book
- Making the Right Moves: A Practical Guide to Scientific Management for Postdocs and New Faculty, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- The Smart Way to Manage a Large Research Project, Next Scientist
- Project Management for Scientists, Science
- COS/PIVOT (formerly Community of Science)
- Funding Resources & Opportunities at Florida State, FSU Office of Research
- Apply for grant opportunities on Grants.gov
- Proposal Writing, Graduate School of Library and Information Science University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Foundation Directory Online
Individual Development Plan
It is recommended that all graduate students and postdocs at the MagLab create a plan with their mentors to make the most of their time at the lab. One way to do that is to create an Individual Development Plan (IDP). The American Association for the Advancement of Science has a free online IDP that you can fill out with your mentor.
Our education calendar features seminars for graduate students and postdocs, as well as programs and events for all age groups.
For more information contact Kari Roberts.