Job ID #50953
- Responsible for selecting and applying standard technical and engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria in developing and/or modifying complex designs for the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (National MagLab) departments and staff with various magnet development projects within the Magnet Science & Technology (MS&T) department of the MagLab.
- Manages the procurement supply chain for various magnet development projects coordinating procurement process with MagLab departments, staff and vendors.
- Reads, interprets, and analyzes mechanical parts and assembly drawings along with their dimensioning and tolerance symbols. Collaborates with mechanical designers, project leaders, and fabricators of the MS&T department.
- Acts as a point of contact to machine shops to facilitate fabrication activity. Assists with determining the method of procurement to produce orders and contracts.
- Researches and identifies suitable suppliers of magnet parts and machine parts. Obtains price quotes, part lists, and sole source documents. Confers with vendors regarding delivery, specifications, and quality.
- Provides FSU policy and best practices information to MagLab departments and staff on procurement methods and change orders.
- Provides procurement data to MagLab departments and staff by researching and answering inquiries about procurement charges posted to ledgers, and shipping updates from vendors. Investigates and resolves purchasing issues, with Procurement Services.
A Bachelor's degree; or a high school diploma or equivalent and experience equal to four years. (Note: post high-school education and/or experience may substitute at a comparable rate.)
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to interpret, conceptualize, design, and modify equipment to meet specialized requirements.
- Ability to utilize blueprints and specifications.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Experience prioritizing, organizing, and performing multiple work assignments simultaneously.
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow's news!
Learn more about our university and campuses.
Anticipated Salary Range
High $40,000s to low $50,000s commensurate with education and experience.
This is an USPS (University Support Personnel System) position.
FSU Total Rewards
FSU offers a robust Total Rewards package. Visit FSU website to learn more about our Compensation, Benefits, Wellness, Recognition, and Employee Development programs.
Use FSU interactive tool to calculate Total Compensation options based on potential salary, benefits and retirement contributions, earned leave, and other employment-related perks.
Soft Money Funded Position
This is a soft money funded position, with renewal based on available funds and the needs of the University.
If not otherwise specified, schedule is M-F, 8-5.
Criminal Background Check
This position requires successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How To Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific job opening as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu job ID #50953 . If you are a current FSU employee, apply via myFSU > Self Service.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history up to ten years, and education details even if attaching a resume.
Certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and family members of such servicemembers and veterans, receive preference and priority, and certain servicemembers may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements, in employment by the state and its political subdivisions and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. Veterans' Preference applies to University Support Personnel System (USPS) positions only.
IMPORTANT: To claim Veterans' Preference, select “yes” to the question on the application questionnaire and upload a DD-214 (or equivalent), the Veterans' Preference Certification form, and other documentation if applicable with your online application before midnight of the position closing date.
Tobacco Free Campus
Effective January 1, 2014, tobacco use, including simulated tobacco use, is prohibited on property, interior and exterior, owned or managed by Florida State University. This policy applies to all Florida State University students, employees, consultants, contractors, visitors, and external individuals.
Screening Foreign Researchers
Pursuant to Florida law, any citizen of a foreign country who is not a permanent resident of the U.S., or who is a citizen or permanent resident but is affiliated with or has had at least 1 year of employment or training in China, Russia, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuela, or Syria is subject to additional screening. If you meet these criteria, you must be prepared to provide the following information to FSU upon request:
- Every institution of higher education attended, whether or not listed on your CV or resume
- All previous employment since your 18th birthday
- A list of all published material
- A list of all current and pending research funding from any source, including details about the research, your role, funding source, and amount
- List and description of any non-university professional activities
- Any affiliation with an institution or program in a foreign country
- A complete copy of your passport
- Your most recently submitted DS-160 (Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application)
Equal Employment Opportunity: An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.