What You Will Do
The Pulsed Field Facility of the U.S. National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (National MagLab) at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is seeking highly motivated Postdoctoral researchers that wish to advance their research career at the world's premier high magnetic field research facility. Research at the Pulsed Field Facility spans a range of modern condensed matter topics, utilizing cutting-edge experimental techniques with an emphasis upon multiple extreme environments (high fields, low temperatures, high pressures and strains). The successful candidates for these positions will have a strong track record of experimental research and scientific communication. The current search has a particular emphasis on strongly correlated materials and topologically non trivial systems: including but not limited to exotic superconductivity, magnetic topological insulators and Weyl semimetals, spin liquid candidates, and the physics of low carrier density metals in the extreme quantum limit. In collaboration with PFF mentors, candidates are expected to develop their own high field research projects that align with the ongoing research interests of the group. Beyond being part of the NSF funded pulsed field user program, candidates will have the opportunity to join the Center for the Advancement of Topological Semimetals, a DOE Energy Frontiers Research Center, and LANL LDRD research teams. Exceptional candidates will be eligible to compete for distinguished Postdoctoral research fellowships funded through the LANL director’s postdoctoral program.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience interacting with personnel at all levels.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as evident by a track record of peer reviewed publications, oral scientific presentations and application cover letter.
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and productively with minimal supervision.
- Education: A Ph.D. in Condensed Matter Physics, Materials Science, or a closely-related field earned within 5 years of the anticipated start date or soon to be completed.
- Experience of measurements in high (and pulsed) magnetic fields
- Experience designing and realizing custom instrumentation.
- Experience utilizing advance sample preparation and device fabrication tool such as Focused Ion Beam lithography.
- Experience of Labview, Matlab, Mathematica, Python or other programing languages and platforms for data acquisition, analysis, calculations, and modeling.
Note to Applicants
This position will be physically located in Los Alamos.
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. The Materials Physics and Applications Division (MPA) enables the development of new technologies that solve pressing national energy and security challenges by exploring and exploiting materials and their properties, developing practical applications of materials, and providing world-class user facilities.
Our generous benefits package includes:
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
- Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)