Category and Level: Post doctoral Research Asscociate
Organization Name: MPA-MAGLAB Materials, Physics and Applications Division, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
What You Will Do
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) and the U.S. National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (National Maglab) are seeking a highly motivated and technically excellent postdoctoral researcher in experimental physics focusing on superconductivity and quantum materials under simultaneous high applied pressure and magnetic field. The successful candidate is expected to focus their effort on developing and utilizing diamond anvil cells in pulsed magnetic fields, taking advantage of the capabilities available at the Pulsed Field Facility (PFF). The position also provides opportunities for industrious candidates to pursue new collaborations, develop complementary techniques, and perform independent research within related topics.
LANL is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. The Pulsed Field Facility is located on the main LANL campus in Los Alamos, New Mexico. LANL is one of three MagLab partner institutions, along with the University of Florida, Gainesville, and Florida State University, Tallahassee. The MagLab is sponsored primarily by the National Science Foundation (NSF), Division of Materials Research, with additional support from the State of Florida and the Department of Energy. LANL provides unique capabilities to the PFF for the MagLab in the form of a 1.4 GVA pulsed power system. In addition to the 100 Tesla Multi-Shot Pulsed Magnet and the 60 T Long Pulse Magnet, the MagLab features several capacitor-driven pulsed magnets and state-of-the-art diagnostic capabilities for materials science research. The PFF supports a scientific user facility, develops magnet technology, and advances science and technology using high magnetic fields in support of the goals and objectives of the NSF and LANL.
Qualifications We Require
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and productively with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills, and experience interacting with personnel at all levels.
- Demonstrated abilities in writing peer reviewed publications
Qualifications We Desire
- Extensive hands-on experience with one or more high pressure techniques
- Experience with common lab instrumentation, such as oscilloscopes, function generators.
- Experience with measurements in high magnetic fields
- Experience with software platforms for data acquisition, analysis, and modeling Education: A Ph.D. in Physics, Geology, Chemistry, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or a closely-related field earned within 5 years of the anticipated start date.
Note to Applicants
- Cover letter addressing the qualifications outlined above. Please list names and contact information of three possible references
- One notable published paper or pre-print (co-)authored by the candidate (.pdf format)
Essential Job Functions (can perform with or without reasonable accommodation): Climbing stairs, walking, working flexible hours or irregular schedule, operation of motor vehicles, work near electrical power supplies.
Work Environment: Work in widely ranging ambient temperatures, operation of motor vehicles, work in a noisy environment, work near electrical power supplies, work near machinery with moving parts, cleaning chemicals, safety glasses or eye protection, face shield or facial protection, mask or respirator, hearing protection, gloves or hand protection, safety shoes or protective foot gear.
No Clearance: Position does not require a security clearance. Pre-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a pre-employment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Appointment Type: Postdoctoral Research Associate, two-year appointment, with a possibility of a third. Highly competitive candidates will be considered for prestigious position as a LANL Director's Postdoctoral Fellow.
Posting Scope: Internal/External
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns. The Materials Physics and Applications Division (MPA) enables the development of new technologies that solve pressing national energy and security challenges by exploring and exploiting materials and their properties, developing practical applications of materials, and providing world-class user facilities. LANL benefits package includes:
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network. Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays). Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)