Category and Level: Research Technician (Level 3 or 4 depending on qualifications)
Organization Name: MPA-MAGLAB, Materials Physics and Applications Division, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
What You Will Do
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) has immediate openings for technically excellent and highly motivated Electrical Technicians for high power systems driving some of the world’s strongest magnets. The work is a mixture of installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of high-voltage, high-current electrical systems and large electrical energy storage systems. Major infrastructure includes the LANL 1.4 gigawatt generator, capacitor banks, high power rectifiers, bus work among subsystems, and control systems that orchestrate the whole operation. Voltages up to 24 kV, currents over 10 kA, and stored electrical energy up to 400 MJ occur at different stages in our facility, therefore a major component of this job is ensuring safe operations for everyone involved. Excellent quality and attention to detail in this work is essential to ensure scientific success and safe operation for experiments with potential for explosive failure. The selected candidates will support scientific users of our facility from around the world in a dynamic team environment where communication, teamwork, initiative, and follow through are essential.
These open positions are in the Power Team, part of the of the MAGLAB Group and the Materials Physics and Applications Division (MPA). The Power Team is responsible for the operation, maintenance, repair and upgrade of major electrical power delivery systems and electrical energy storage systems supporting high magnetic field experiments. This includes the LANL pulsed power generator, which can deliver up to 1.4 GW of power, store 1 GJ of mechanical energy, and weighs over a million pounds. We use the generator to drive the world-record holding 100 Tesla Multi-Shot Magnet for experiments at the scientific frontier in materials research, chemistry, and physics.
Research Technician Level 3
- Install, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair electrical power delivery and energy storage systems, includes high power, current, and/or voltage circuits and equipment
- Work independently from single-line diagrams to run cables and make wire terminations of complex electrical and control circuits
- Identify, track, and report maintenance and repairs; and maintain inventory of electrical operating equipment and spares.
- Learn the principles and practice of pulsed power delivery, apply that knowledge, and eventually become an operator on one or more power systems
Research Technician Level 4
In addition to the work outlined above:
- Do more complex installation and maintenance of electrical power and energy storage systems
- Design and install printed circuit boards, various circuits and components, instrumentation and controls (I&C) systems, and programmable logic controller (PLC) systems
- Be responsible for executing maintenance plan for a facility subsystem; report on progress.
Qualifications We Require
For Technician Level 3:
- Demonstrated experience with hands-on technical work, for example, electrical equipment installation or repair, wiring, use of hand tools, machining, electronics, computer networks, etc.
- Experience in metering and testing equipment, for example, multimeters, mega-ohmmeters ("meggers"), high-voltage ("high-pot") testing, ground fault detection, etc.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of electrical safety and best practices
- Ability to accurately document technical work to support systematic facility record keeping
- Either (1) an associate's degree in a relevant field and three-to-five years of related experience, or (2) and equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional requirements for Technician Level 4:
- Demonstrated experience with more complex, higher performance, and/or more challenging technical work
- Demonstrated experience in the application of electrical test and measurement to real-world or R&D problems
- Either (1) an associate's degree in relevant field and four-to-six years of related experience, or (2) equivalent combination of education and experience
Qualifications We Desire
- Demonstrated experience in safe electrical practice through knowledge of any of the following, (1) an applicable standard (NEC, NFPA 70B, NFPA 70E, ISO), (2) a broad scope institutional electrical safety program (e.g. that of U.S. National Laboratory like LANL or a similar organization), or (3) an appropriate certification for electrical work (e.g. licensed electrician)
- Experience with installation and commissioning of electrical facility systems, for example, electrical generation and distribution, capacitor banks, motors, and control systems
- Experience with routine preventive maintenance with minimal down time to the operation and highest safety standards, including reporting all incidents and discrepancies
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting and diagnosing problems with complex systems and ability to propose creative solutions
- Ability and inclination to contribute to a wide range of basic-research and mission-science programs as needs and opportunities evolve with time
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearance (generally requires US citizenship)
Note to Applicants
Formal applications should be submitted at www.lanl.gov/careers job number IRC82644
For full consideration, applicants must submit a cover letter that addresses each of the key requirements of the position as well as a resume.
Essential Job Functions (can perform with or without reasonable accommodation): Climbing stairs, walking, lifting 20-30 pounds
Work Environment: In a widely ranging ambient temperatures, work in a noisy environment, work near electrical power supplies, work near machinery with moving parts, safety glasses or eye protection, hearing protection, safety shoes or protective footgear.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. The Materials Physics and Applications Division (MPA) enables the development of new technologies that solve pressing national energy and security challenges by exploring and exploiting materials and their properties, developing practical applications of materials, and providing world-class user facilities.
LANL benefits package includes:
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
- Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)