Category and Level: Post doctoral Research Asscociate
Organization Name: MPA-MAGLAB, Materials Physics and Applications Division, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory
What You Will Do
Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) and the U.S. National High Magnetic Field Laboratory (National MagLab) are seeking a highly motivated and technically excellent postdoctoral researcher in experimental condensed matter physics focusing on unconventional superconductivity in the cuprates and newly discovered infinite-layer nickelates. The successful candidate is expected to focus their effort on electrical transport, I-V characteristics, and AC elasto-resistance measurements in pulsed magnetic fields, taking advantage of the capabilities available at the Pulsed Field Facility (PFF). The position also provides opportunities for industrious candidates to pursue new collaborations, develop complementary techniques, and perform independent research within related topics.
Qualifications We Require
Education: A Ph.D in experimental condensed matter physics or related field completed within the past 5 years.
Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Electrical transport (lineal or non-linear), particularly at high-frequencies or challenging environments
- Elasto-resistance measurements
- Vibrating beam or cantilever fabrication and/or measurements
- Elastic properties measurements such as resonant ultrasound spectroscopy or pulse-echo ultrasound
- Clean-room nanofabrication and/or focused ion-beam fabrication
- Measurements in high magnetic fields (> 30 T)
Qualifications We Desire
- Effective written and verbal communication skills as evinced by publications, presentations, cover letter, and references
- Matlab, Mathematica, Python or other programing languages and platforms for data analysis, calculations, and modeling
- FPGA programming
- Labview or Python for experimental control and data acquisition
Note to Applicants
- Cover letter addressing the qualifications outlined above. Please list names and contact information of three possible references
- One notable published paper or pre-print (co-)authored by the candidate (.pdf format)
Formal applications can be submitted at www.lanl.gov/careers job number IRC 81558
Essential Job Functions (can perform with or without reasonable accommodation): Climbing stairs, walking, working flexible hours or irregular schedule, operation of motor vehicles, work near electrical power supplies.
Work in widely ranging ambient temperatures, operation of motor vehicles, work in a noisy environment, work near electrical power supplies, work near machinery with moving parts, cleaning chemicals, safety glasses or eye protection, face shield or facial protection, mask or respirator, hearing protection, gloves or hand protection, safety shoes or protective foot gear.
No Clearance: Position does not require a security clearance.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: The Laboratory requires successful applicants to complete a preemployment drug test and maintains a substance abuse policy that includes random drug testing.
Appointment Type: Postdoctoral Research Associate, two-year appointment, with a possibility of a third. Highly competitive candidates will be considered for prestigious position as a LANL Director’s Postdoctoral Fellow.
Posting Scope: Internal/External
Where You Will Work
Located in northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. LANL enhances national security by ensuring the safety and reliability of the U.S. nuclear stockpile, developing technologies to reduce threats from weapons of mass destruction, and solving problems related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health, and global security concerns. The Materials Physics and Applications Division (MPA) enables the development of new technologies that solve pressing national energy and security challenges by exploring and exploiting materials and their properties, developing practical applications of materials, and providing world-class user facilities.
LANL benefits package includes:
- PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
- Dental and vision insurance
- Free basic life and disability insurance
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
- Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
- Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
- Onsite gyms and wellness programs
- Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)