Graduate Theses Supervised by David C. Larbalestier at the Applied Superconductivity Center
1. David G. Hawksworth, "The Upper Critical Field and High Field Critical Current of Niobium-Titanium and Niobium-Titanium Based Alloys," (1981)
2. David B. Smathers, "Compositional Analysis of Diffused Nb3Sn Layers (1982)
3. David L. Moffat, "Phase Transformations in the Titanium-Niobium Binary Alloy System (1985)
4. William H. Warnes, "The Resistive Critical Current Transition in Composite Superconductors," (1986)
5. Kenneth R. Marken, "Characterization Studies of Bronze-Process Filamentary Nb3Sn Composites (1986)
6. Christoph Meingast, "Flux Pinning by ΔHc and ΔΚ Mechanisms in Nb-Ti Superconductors," (1988)
7. Henry Muller, "The Upper Critical Field of Niobium-Titanium Alloys," (1990)
8. Manfred Daeumling, "Superconducting Magnetic Properties and Granularity in Single and Polycrystalline (Y,Dy)Ba2Cu3O7-d," (1990)
9. James McKinnell, "Flux Pinning in Superconducting Nb-Ti Alloys" (1990)
10. Jeffrey M. Seuntjens, "Understanding Weak Links Through the Processing of (RE) Ba2Cu3O7-d," (1990)
11. João Vargas, "The Critical Current Density of Y Ba2Cu3O7-d Single Crystals," (1992)
12. Lance D. Cooley, "The Scaling Rule and Fluxon Core Pinning in a High Field Superconductor with Artificially Introduced Pins," (1993)
13. George Stejic, "The Mean-Field Flux Pinning Theory," (1993)
14. Laura J. Bonney, "Microstructural Dependence of Critical Current Densities in the SnMo6S8 Chevrel Phase Superconductor," (1994)
15. Paul D. Jablonski, "A Novel Powder Metallurgy Technique for Producing Artificial Pinning Centers in Nb-Ti Superconductors," (1994)
16. Harry S. Edelman, "Current Limiting Mechanisms in Bi2Sr2CaCu2Ox Superconducting Tapes" (1995)
17. Jyh-Lih Wang, "Study of Current Limiting Mechanisms in Bi-Sr-Ca-Cu-O Superconducting Tapes by Electromagnetic and Microstructural Characterization of Bulk-Scale Bicrystals," (1996).
18. Nina Heinig, "The Strong-to-Weak Coupling Transition in Low Misorientation Angle Thin Film and Bulk YBa2Cu3O7-d Bicrystals", (1996)
19. Erik Kadyrov, "Critical Currents in Superconducting Thin Films and Tapes", (1996)
20. Michael Field, "Electromagnetic Properties of Melt-textured YBa2Cu3O7-d Bicrystals of General Misorientation," (1996)
21. Jeff Parrell, "The Materials Processing, Connectivity, Flux Pinning, and Critical Current Density of Ag-Clad (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox Superconducting Tapes," (1996).
22. Robert Heussner, "Flux Pinning in Superconducting Nb-Ti Wires with Nb Artificial Pinning Centers," (1998).
23. Alex Pashitski, "Investigation of Magnetic Flux Distribution and Current Flow in High Temperature Superconductors by Means of Magneto-optical Imaging," (1998).
24. Matthew Feldmann, "Current flow in YBa2Cu3Ox Deformation Textured Coated Conductors" (2001).
25. Michael Naus, "Optimization of Internal-Sn Nb3Sn Composites," (2002).
26. Valeria Braccini, "Superconducting Behavior of Bulk MgB2:Dependence of Critical Temperature, Irreversibility Field and Upper Critical Field on the Normal State Properties". Jointly advised with Professor Antonio S Siri, Department of Physics University of Genoa, Italy, (2003).
27. Szuya Liao, "Analysis of Current Limiting Mechanisms in Ag-sheathed Bi-based High-Tc Superconducting Tapes by Quantitative Magneto-Optical Imaging", (2004).
28. Arno Godeke, "Performance Boundaries in Nb3Sn Superconductors", (2005).
29. Sang Il Kim, "The Critical Current Density of YBCO Coated Conductors", (July 2007)
30. Ben Senkowicz (jointly with Eric Hellstrom), "Jc Optimization of Ex-Situ MgB2", (July 2007)
31. Matthew Jewell, "The Effects Of Strand Architecture On The Fracture Propensity Of Nb3Sn Composite Wires", (Aug. 2008).
32. Zhijun Chen, "Flux pinning in YBa2Cu3O7-x coated conductors", (Nov. 2008).
33. Zu-Hawn Sung, "The Influence of Grain Boundaries on the Properties of Superconducting Radio Frequency Cavity Niobium" (August 2010).
34. J. Zhou, "The Effects Of Variable Tin Content On The Properties Of A15 Superconducting Nb3Sn" PhD Thesis, Florida State University (November 2011).
35. Aixia Xu, "Flux pinning study of REBa2Cu3O7-x coated conductors for high field magnet applications" (August 2012).
36. Pei Li, "Study Of Grain Boundaries In Ca-Doped Ybbco Thin Films" (April 2013).
Students Graduating with MS Degrees
1. Francisco Lamellas, by examination (1983)
2. Mary I. Buckett, "The Effects of Cold Work and Tantalum Additional on Precipitation Behavior in Titanium-Niobium Alloys," (1986)
3. Kathryn E. Hautanen, by examination (1990)
4. Kenneth J. Faase, "Quantification of Heat Treated Nb-Ti Composite Microstructures," (1991)
5. Yvonne High, "A Study of the Competitive Reactions Occurring during the Heat Treatment of Silver-Sheathed (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox Aerosol Spray Pyrolysis Powder," (1993)
6. Tomas Willis, "The superconducting properties of Hot Isostatically Pressed PbMo6S8" (1994)
7. Karunah Muthiah, by examination (1995).
8. John Anderson, "Processing Dependence of Connectivity, Flux Pinning, and Critical Current density in Ag-Sheathed (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox Superconducting Tapes," (1998).
9. Christopher Hawes, "Investigations of the Inhomogeneity of a Powder-in-Tube Nb3Sn Conductor," (2000).
10. Chad Fischer, "Investigation of the Relationships Between Superconducting Properties and Nb3Sn Reaction Conditions in Powder-in-Tube Nb3Sn Conductors," (2002).
11. Jermal Chandler, "Studies of the Irreversibility Field of Post Annealed (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3O10-x (BSCCO-2223) Tapes", 2003.
12. George Daniels, "Electromagnetic properties of Ca-doped YBa2Cu3O7-d grain boundaries", 2003.
13. Nicholas Nelson, "The upper-critical field of Nb-Ti and Nb-Ti-Ta", 2006.
14. David Myers, Characterization of Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8-x/Ag-Alloy conductor samples extracted from wind and react solenoids", MS 7-28-2009.
15. Manan Sheth, "Fatigue behavior of Nb3Sn composite strands used for ITER magnets", MS 6-21-2011.
16. Andrew Whittington, Shrink Tube Insulation Apparatus for REBCO Superconducting Tapes for Use in High Field Magnets, July 2014
Other Applied Superconductivity Center Theses
Under the Supervision of Professor Eric Hellstrom at Florida State University
Michael LoSchiavo, "Processing Issues of Bi2Sr2CaCu2O8 Round Wire Involving Leakage and Alumino Silicate Insulation," MS 7-28-2009
Tengming Shen, "Processing, Microstructure, and Critical Current Density of Ag-Sheathed Bi2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox Multifilamentary Round Wire," PhD 5-3-2010.
Under the Supervision of Professor Eric Hellstrom at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
Yongwen Yuan, "Advancing Materials Processing, Eliminating Current Limiting Mechanism, And Enhancing Critical Current Density Of Ag-Sheathed (Bi,Pb)2Sr2Ca2Cu3Ox Composite Conductors", (2004).
Under the Supervision of Professors Susan Babcock. Eric Hellstrom and David Larbalestier at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
Jodi Reeves, "Microstructural Investigation of Current Barriers in High Temperature Superconducting Tapes and Coated Conductors". 2001
PhDs Under the Supervision of Professor John M. Pfotenhauer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
Robert C. Duckworth, "Contact Resistance and Normal Zone Formation In Coated Yttrium Barium Copper Oxide Superconductors (2001)
Daniel W. Hoch, "Design and Test of a 1. 8K Liquid Helium Refrigerator", (2004)
Jong Hoon Baik, "Design Methods in Active Valve Pulse Tube Refrigerator, (2003)